7 Pasta (Post) Street /9 Jāņa (St John’s)


7 Pasta Street /9 Jāņa Street in late 1930s
7 Pasta Street /9 Jāņa Street in late 1930s
7 Pasta Street /9 Jāņa Street in 2014
7 Pasta Street /9 Jāņa Street in 2014

On the left side of the photo, you can see a small part of the previously described corner house on №8 Pasta Street / № 7 Jāņa Street. Now let's have a look at the house on the opposite side of Pasta Street, namely, № 7 Pasta Street /№ 9 Jāņa Street.

In 1761, this plot of land belonged to Christoph Klein, a blacksmith and gunsmith. Presumably there was also a smithy here.

The next information found relates to 1801, when the widow Anna Sophie Pohlmann sold her wooden house to the shoemaker Johann Friedrich Ulrich, but in 1829 and later it belonged to the goldsmith Friedrich Michael Ulrich.

In 1849, this plot of land was divided into two, on both of them there were residential houses belonging to the goldsmith Ulrich.

Ulrich's heirs sold one house in 1866 to the blacksmith Reinhold Kaminsky. The second was bought by a petty retailer Nathansohn in 1868 and the house he bought was rebuilt in the same year.

In 1877, Kaminskis sold his plot of land for 900 Rubles to Leiser Brandt and Brandt in 1878 for 1,500 Rubles to Julius (Joel) Nathansohn, so the previously divided plot of land again belonged to one owner. Nathansohn, a 2nd Guild merchant, opened a convenience store, colonial goods, steel goods, and tobacco and cigar shops in his own house, which he operated with his son Abraham. He also had a retail winery here, run by the owner's wife, Ernestine (Esther).

In November 1912, the house of Julius (Joel Leiba) Nathansohn, was inherited by his widow Ernestine-Esther Nathansohn, and in 1913 a new two-storey Art Nouveau building was approved. The brick building was built in 1914.

Since the construction of the new house in 1914, J. L. Nathansohn's convenience store has been here.

In 1923, the property was inherited by the sons of Julius (Joel Leiba) Nathansohn, Abraham and Lipman Nathansohn.

In the 1930s, the legal status of the company founded by Joel Leiba Nathansohn in 1850 was - "Open Society J. L. Nathansohn". The personally responsible members of the company were the two sons of the deceased founder of the company. The company traded in colonial, iron and steel goods, as well as building materials, and hired about 5 employees. The turnover in 1935 was around 250,000 Lats. However, in 1936, the company was liquidated and closed on the trade register on 5 July. Instead, on July 25, 1936, the company "Leo Nathansohn" was registered - a colonial goods store on № 7 Jāņa Street. On January 27, 1937, the "Basic Necessities and Materials Goods Store Lipman Nathansohn” was registered.

In 1940, at the auction, the part of the property owned by Lipman Nathansohn (1/2) was bought for 8,220 Lats by Leo Nathansohn, the son of Lipman's brother Abraham Nathansohn, who had a shop for various goods and materials here in 1940.

On the side of Jāņa Street of Nathansohn House from 1932 there was a Žanis Strazdiņš shop, where he traded agricultural machinery, tools, as well as foodstuff.

Nowadays - private property.





Valsts Kultūrkapitāla fonds


Skolas iela 1, Aizpute, Aizputes novads, LV-3456
Phone Phone: 29623284
e-mail e-mail: 
Web Website:

irk1 Wheelchair access available


From 01.10. - 30.04. on working days from 09:00 - 17:00,
on the 3rd Saturday of each month from 10:00 - 14:00
From 01.05. - 30.09. on working days from 09:00 - 17:00,
Saturdays from 10:00 - 14:00